Thursday, July 24, 2008

Changing Moments

My mom is the bravest woman I know. When Haven was six days old, my sweet mommy was diagnosed with breast cancer. In that moment of finding out, it was as if time stood still. I just remember holding Haven so close to me, praying that God would heal my mom so that she would be able to watch my babies grow. I never felt so selfish in all my life. In that moment, I realized how much my mom meant to me.

Since that day, I have seen my mom lose her energy, lose her hair, and lose her breasts. But I have also seen her gain such strength. Once she decided that she was going to beat this, she put on her “boxing gloves” and came out fighting. I admire her courage and hope that I can have just an ounce of that when I face my own struggles.

I have also seen a renewed faith in God. She knows that He has her under His wing and will protect and provide for her each step of the way. I believe that too.

As of today, the diagnosis is good…cancer free. She is still undergoing preventive chemo and will have radiation and reconstruction later this year and into the next, but in this moment, my mom is still here with me. I thank God for that.

I don’t know why some people survive and some don’t. I don’t know if the cancer will return somewhere down the road. I don’t know. I do know that my mom has taught me to just be in and enjoy the everyday moments.

I also know that I hold my kids closer, I kiss them twice as much, and I tell them constantly how much I love them. I also think that I love deeper than I did before. And I do have a greater appreciation of the gift that I was given several years ago, that of my husband who I love so much, but often times take for granted…I’m so sorry.

There are moments in our lives that change us. This one did. But somehow, I think that I am changing for the better, at least I hope so.

Mom, I love you so much and am so proud of you. You are truly an inspiration to me.

3 comments:

Rogers Family said...

What a wonderful God he is...Times like these make us all realized how blessed we truly are. I am so happy for you and your family.

momdad said...

My babies - you, Cherish & Chelsea - my dear grandbabies, Rylee & Haven, a "son" I gained by marriage, and most of all, the sweetest, caring husband a woman could ever pray and dream for - you all are my inspiration everyday to continue to fight and conquer this challenge put in our lives.

For those who sent their prayers and well-wishes to our family, words of "thank-you" seem inadequate. I know that because of all the prayers, God listened and answered those prayers, and has strengthened me, in ways I never could have imagined!!

I agree whole-heartedly that there are moments that can change a person's entire life - and although some "changing moments" are devastating, scary or hurtful, I pray that you receive it with open arms and grow more beautiful with every "moment". Remember the old saying - "What doesn't kill you will make you stronger". Well, babe, it's the truth!!

I love you so much it sometimes hurts - but in a great way!

Love - Mom

MISTY and CO... said...

wow. chas, your words are powerful and a true testimony of your strength as a daughter, mommy, wife and WOMAN OF GOD. you are loved & your family IS precious. you are not holding tight alone....there are LOTS of arms around you :)