Last Sunday we visited our sweet neighbors across the street. Their eleven year old son had been baptized that morning and we wanted to take him a gift. Rylee adores their son; in fact, he often looks out the window to see if J is out there. So it was no surprise to us when Rylee took off inside their house exploring every room with J. His excitement at being at J’s house only escaladed when he turned the corner and saw sitting in the middle of their media room a set of drums, a guitar, and the biggest TV screen ever! Have you ever heard of Rock Band? Well, evidently it is all the rage on our street. There are rumors of grown adults staying up until 4 in the morning rockin’ out to this game. In fact J’s mom prides herself on being the lead vocalist.
So there we were in what Rylee probably considers Wonka Land and my son didn’t hesitate to show off his skills. He grabbed the drumsticks and away he went, pounding and banging and stomping the pedal. It was a sight. Then he moved on to the guitar, swinging his arm around in a circle as if he were Ritchie Sambora…his head banging with every beat. We were rolling, he was sweating, it was a good time for sure.
Since then though, all I hear is, “I want Rock Band.” Now tell me, what two year old wants Rock Band? So here was my brainy reply, “Ask Santa.” Simple, right? Wrong. Now Rylee wants me to get the tree out of the garage and decorate it so Christmas will come. I have tried to explain that you have to wait because it doesn’t work that way, but he doesn’t get it. To him, a cupcake means it is his birthday so why wouldn’t getting the tree out mean it is Christmas?
So if you run into “Ho-Ho” please give him this note:
Dear Santa,
Rylee really, really, really wants Rock Band for Christmas.
Haven wants an all-you-can-eat buffet (see picture).
Rob wants more time to exercise.
And I just want a long winter’s nap.
The Holman Family
If only it were that easy.
So there we were in what Rylee probably considers Wonka Land and my son didn’t hesitate to show off his skills. He grabbed the drumsticks and away he went, pounding and banging and stomping the pedal. It was a sight. Then he moved on to the guitar, swinging his arm around in a circle as if he were Ritchie Sambora…his head banging with every beat. We were rolling, he was sweating, it was a good time for sure.
Since then though, all I hear is, “I want Rock Band.” Now tell me, what two year old wants Rock Band? So here was my brainy reply, “Ask Santa.” Simple, right? Wrong. Now Rylee wants me to get the tree out of the garage and decorate it so Christmas will come. I have tried to explain that you have to wait because it doesn’t work that way, but he doesn’t get it. To him, a cupcake means it is his birthday so why wouldn’t getting the tree out mean it is Christmas?
So if you run into “Ho-Ho” please give him this note:
Dear Santa,
Rylee really, really, really wants Rock Band for Christmas.
Haven wants an all-you-can-eat buffet (see picture).
Rob wants more time to exercise.
And I just want a long winter’s nap.
The Holman Family
If only it were that easy.

1 comment:
Dear Ho-Ho,
Once you have dropped a new drum set off for Rylee, could you stop by our crib?? I promise not to call Chas because I don't want to wake her.
Our list will be attached to the front door. Will a nanny fit in your sleigh?? If not, is it too much to ask for her to have her OWN car?
falalala-laaaaa-lalalala!
Misty & Co...
Post a Comment