Sunday, July 6, 2008

Purpose

So here it goes, my attempt at documenting my life. I’ve done what all great authors do, I’ve closed the office door, told my husband not to disturb me, and informed my eight month old that there will be no nursing until mommy finishes (yeah, like that will happen). And here I am, all alone hoping that I will be transformed into a 21st century Erma Bombeck, able to impart knowledge and wisdom to all who read my blog. Gosh, that makes me laugh inside because lately, I'm lucky if I can remember to turn the oven on before I attempt to cook chicken nuggets for my two year old. Somehow, pregnancy and motherhood have robbed me of my brain cells and I feel as if I need to retrain myself to think. So forgive me if I ramble or if I veer off onto a random subject. The good thing is that I usually find my way home.

So with that said, let me tell you a little about myself. I grew up in Mount Vernon, a small town in East Texas which was the backdrop for many escapades but much learning. From there I went to college at Stephen F. Austin and graduated with the most useless degree, Speech Communications. I used to tell people that “now, I can talk real good”. Then I came to Dallas and this is where my life entered a new and exciting chapter, the best being that I met my dear husband, Rob, and proceeded to have two of the most darling children, Rylee who is 2 and Haven who will be 8 months old next week.

Life has really changed for me in the past few years but I wouldn’t exchange it for anything. Some days are not what I expected, but most days are filled with laughter, a few tears, and so much love that I cannot even wrap my heart around it. God has blessed me and daily shows me how much He loves me through the great and awesome gift of my family.

There is something powerful about sitting in the quiet and reflecting on your life, trying to sum up who you are and what your purpose is. No kiddin, just after I wrote that sentence, my husband came in with my son who began climbing all over the desk wearing only his favorite dinosaur T-shirt and socks. There is something powerful about that scene too.

My son, who was wanted more than I ever wanted anything in my life, teaches me so much. Two weeks ago, we started potty training. He has done really well. We have had very few accidents but man, is it work. I always hated changing his diaper, but I hate even more taking him to the ladies’ room, stripping him down while telling him not to TOUCH ANYTHING (he is amazed at the trash containers built into the stalls), and then proceeding to hold him over the toilet while he announces to everyone that he has pooped and then tells me, “Give me a high five”. At which I laugh and so do the other women in there. Then he wants to flush the toilet, ugh! I tell you what ladies, I know we pride ourselves on being ladies and lady-like, but a woman’s bathroom is really disgusting. I can’t believe at how many women miss….. you know who you are. Anyway, so here we are in potty training mode.

So, Friday night, we took the fam to watch fireworks. Rylee was so excited all day and couldn’t wait for “the sun to go to bed” so he could see the “colors”. We get there, get set up, the sun starts fading, and my sweet son says he is ready to go home. There was no way we were going anywhere. So he sat in my husband’s lap with his blanket over his face for the entire firework show. Happy Fourth of July! Then came the best part of the entire night, getting out of there. We were casually sitting in traffic, brake lights as far as the eye could see, when my Rylee announced, “I have to go potty!!” Now, I knew this was coming. I was prepared. I just didn’t think that we would be in the car stuck in bumper to bumper when it did, though I really should have known that too. So, since we weren’t moving, I unbuckled my seatbelt, climbed into the back, unstrapped him, and placed him on the traveling potty chair, right smack dab in the back of our new car.

Then and there I realized that in this season of my life, my purpose is to be a mom and wherever life takes me, I will just enjoy the ride.

7 comments:

Kesleigh Castle said...

OUTSTANDING! I'm so excited about your blog. You are such a fantastic writer and now I can keep up with you and the kids.. and that ole hubby of yours. I'm adding you to my favorites! Kes

MISTY and CO... said...

just ONE entry and i am already HOOKED! keep banging out those posts. your kids are going to love it someday.... oh, potty training....UGH! i'm right there with you sister! :)

Kim Mc said...

I love it! Great job. And potty time in the public restrooms only get better as they get older! lol... Being a mom is the greatest gift I've ever been given. Keep it up! I've added you to my favorites too! Love, Kim

Teetime said...

Very nice, wait till Rylee tells to leave while he does his Businesssss, I remember someone telling me to leave the stall once. I believe it went something like this...
"You better leave, this is going to be a bad one"
Grampa

Unknown said...

This is great Chastity!!!!! I love it!!!! I can just see his sweet and bright little face saying that....please cherish each and every moment like this...even though there my be times you want to crawl under a table from embarrassment, these times will be done and over with and with like my handsome boys, you can't talk about these times around them, because you are "embarrassing them." LOL Your blog is great, keep up the good work!!! I can't wait to read more....give the kids a kiss for me... I love ya!!!

Rogers Family said...

I love your blog!! I am so glad you decided to do one. Those kiddo's are lucky to have you as their mommy.

Anonymous said...

What a great name for your blog! I love it! Celena