Everyday Rylee and I sit down to watch his favorite Disney show, Hannah Montana. I really don’t mind it much because well, it is pretty darn funny. Watching it, though, takes me back to my High School days and there is one special event I will never forget…PROM!
In my small town, we had a Junior/Senior prom and it was something you waited two years for, unless you were one of those lucky girls who got to date an older guy. I, on the other hand, didn’t date an older guy nor did I date a younger guy…I really didn’t date. One of my guy friends said to me once, “Chas, you don’t do what it takes to get asked out.” So I guess you could say I was a loser in the love department.
I was, however, determined to have a date to the prom. I mean, I wasn’t going to be one of those losers who just went with a bunch of friends…come on, I had waited for this night forever. So, I put myself out as “available” hoping someone would jump at the chance to take me to the prom. Sadly I realized that maybe what my friend had said was true.
I was just about to hang up my prom dress for a house coat and a chocolate bar when my luck changed…I got the call I was waiting for…well, not exactly. His name was Ichegi (a-kee-gee) Guitano (gu-tawn-o) and he was the foreign exchange student from Japan. I thought, what the heck, I’ll go with him.
So the day of prom I wasn’t all that excited. First of all, I had to take my own car because exchange students weren’t allowed to drive. And secondly, I wasn’t too happy with my dress. It was teal taffeta, tea length, with sequins on top. My mom had bought it for me when I was a sophomore because I was in the Texas Teen Pageant and needed a formal (that’s a story for another day). Well, apparently during my junior year, I must have gained weight because a week before prom, I tried on this dress and my boobs spilled out. So, one of my mom’s friends had to add extra fabric to my cleavage area and move two of the appliqués that were at the waist to the bust area to hide any extra spillage. Thirdly, I didn’t have my hair done because I thought I could do it myself…well, I ended up using a banana clip because I has no idea what I was doing.
Anyway, Ichegi arrived with a bright blue cummerbund and tie holding a bright blue corsage. Needless to say, teal and blue are a dreadful combination.
After way too many photos, we climbed inside my car, me at the wheel and off we went. Prom wasn’t all that I thought it would be. I can’t even remember dancing, but I do remember the car ride home. One of my dear friends got ditched so I offered to take her home with us. On the way to drop off Ichegi, she fell asleep in the back seat. When I pulled into Ichegi’s host family’s driveway, I thanked him for escorting me and told him I had a good time and yadda, yadda. He looked at me, with this very confused face and said (no joking), “So, we aren’t going to ****?” I almost swallowed my matching teal shoe. With that, I sternly said no, yelled at my passed out friend to wake up and pushed Ichegi out of the car.
There’s a saying that Hannah Montana uses that I think is more than appropriate here, “SWEET NIBLETS!!!”
No comments:
Post a Comment