Thursday night at 7:30, I realized that I had not eaten my good luck black-eyed peas. Fortunately I was in Wal-Mart at the time...unfortunately they were completely out of peas. So Rob and I went to Target...no peas. Finally I found some at a restaurant, so I took them home and gobbled them up...Rob even took a bite too. Since then,
- Rylee got sick in the car, and I don't mean a little throw up, I mean projectile vomit all over his car seat, the console, and even into the air conditioning vents. I spent an hour and a half attempting to clean it all up but had to stop when
- my vacuum cleaner hose snapped in two which caused me to say the ugliest word in the world. As I looked up, I saw my new neighbors standing across the street in their driveway...welcome to the 'hood.
- Later that day, while Rob was taking down the Christmas lights, his arm got caught in the ladder and pinched a nickle-size piece of skin.
- Haven had five poopy diapers in one day (two of which leaked out all over her clothes and me).
- I broke a glass bottle of air freshener all over the kitchen tile floor and I smelled like Sweet Cinnamon Pumpkin the rest of the day.
- Rob got hit in the face by the car door as we were leaving Sam's Club.
- And I got sick last night with whatever Rylee and Haven had.
I am beginning to think that maybe I should not have searched so frantically for the so-called "lucky" black-eyed pea...I mean there is a reason they are called black eye...
No, I think that from now on I am better off just relying on my faith in God. That is the source of my real "luck". There is something comforting in knowing that whatever happens in this life, there is someone I can always turn to. My relationship with the Lord has been a little, okay, a lot lacking lately. I have not been spending time with Him as I know I should. It pains me to say that out loud, but that is the truth. I don't know why I do that. It seems like sometimes I just go to Him when I am in need of something, forgetting that he desires all of me, not just my complaints.
It is so shameful, but the good news is that I can do better. Maya Angelou wrote, "...and when you knew better, you did better." So in the spirit of New Year's and black-eyed peas, my resolution is to do better. To be a better Christian and all that goes with it...because it is my heart's desire...to know my Creator better and to get in on what He is up to in my life. And with that, I am asking all of you to be my accountability partners by helping me to stay on track. Shame me if you must, I probably will need it. Love me in spite of my faults, though you do that already. Pray for me, pray that I will daily be mindful of who I am and the God I serve.
May you have a blessed New Year!
2 comments:
you are ALWAYS in my prayers and will never be shamed for being human. HE loves us just as we are and has cleaned up our lost cookies since the day we were born. i have a feeling HE laughs everday with us and maybe even sometimes AT us!
great post!
Hey-it's Rachel, Misty's friend with Matthew and Jackson, and I loved what you wrote. I think that's what Jesus loves, a humble heart and just us coming to him. Hope your days are filled with Him.
Post a Comment