Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Breast Cancer Sucks!

It is still hard sometimes for me to talk or write about the experiences that my mom has gone through this past year, especially when the truth is revealed that her disease was pretty bad. But today, I have more hope than ever as Monday she finished her last round of chemo...go Mom!

The damage breast cancer can cause is not only physical, but so deeply emotional. The initial fear that you feel when you hear the diagnosis is sometimes the worst part. And the days that lead up to the first "procedure" are exhausting. Because in the back of your mind, you wonder, "Am I going to be okay?" That was how it was for my mom. This was her second time to fight cancer and in the beginning, we all worried that she wouldn't have the strength to beat it. I remember the day she was diagnosed, she said, "I just don't think that I am going to make it this time." When I heard those words come out of her mouth, I just couldn't help but think she must know something I don't.

However, there is a fight or flight mechanism that is triggered in all of us and a choice must be made...my mom chose to fight. I was so glad.

I have met other women diagnosed with breast cancer who also chose to fight, but their stories are much different.

I want to share the story of Debbie Monus. Debbie was the mother of two of my youth when I was a youth director. She had three children and a loving husband. She was a dedicated church member and a truly sweet lady. When Debbie was diagnosed with breast cancer, it had already spread and eventually, she went to be with the Lord. Watching her and her family was really amazing...I know that sounds odd, but it was. They really had faith that whatever happened, the Lord's hand was upon her. Interesting that almost ten years later, here I am sharing her story. Every week we would watch Debbie's progression as she went through chemo, surgeries, radiation, and whatever other treatment the doctors tried. I have never seen anyone so sick, yet so filled with God's love. Debbie, as you sit in Heaven, please know that the truth is that breast cancer really didn't win...your grace and faithfulness prevailed and your heart showed us all who the real Champion is! I miss you!

Then my sweet friend, C. She was diagnosed when her daughter was barely a toddler. The doctors were not always so optimistic. There were times when she was given a survival rate. She was also given experimental treatments in hopes that something would work. It is hard to describe how sick she was. But today, I am so happy to say that she is in total remission and a year ago gave birth to her second child...a true blessing for sure.

When my mom was diagnosed, C was one of the first people I contacted and she put us in touch with some of the BEST doctors in Dallas. And she was right!! My mom's doctors are fabulous and so supportive. I don't know if her experience would be the same without them. All that to say, it is so strange to think how the thread runs from one person to another...one person's experiences can benefit another who is going through the same thing. C told me that now she will stop and think, "I had breast cancer. I had breast cancer. I can't believe it." I told my mom that and also told her that one day she will say the same thing.

We haven't gotten to that day yet, but I do think that my mom is well on her way to complete recovery...physically and emotionally. We now joke about her soon-to-be new boobies and how she is planning on my dad taking her to Hawaii next year so she can show them off.

I have learned that most of the time, it is the struggle that makes you stronger, and as long as God is your spotter, the weight can be lifted. The outcome isn't always how we want or expect, but sometimes it is just the journey that makes us who we are. To those of you who have breast cancer or love someone who has breast cancer, I want to say this, you are not alone.


Just for your information - Take charge of your life:

Susan G. Komen for the Cure® recommends that you:

1. Know your risk
Talk to your family to learn about your family health history
Talk to your provider about your personal risk of breast cancer

2. Get screened
Ask your doctor which screening tests are right for you if you are at a higher risk
Have a mammogram every year starting at age 40 if you are at average risk
Have a clinical breast exam at least every 3 years starting at 20, and every year starting at 40

3. Know what is normal for you
See your health care provider right away if you notice any of these breast changes:
Lump, hard knot or thickening
Swelling, warmth, redness or darkening
Change in the size or shape of the breast
Dimpling or puckering of the skin
Itchy, scaly sore or rash on the nipple
Pulling in of your nipple or other parts of the breast
Nipple discharge that starts suddenly
New pain in one spot that doesn’t go away

4. Make healthy lifestyle choices
Maintain a healthy weight
Add exercise into your routine
Limit alcohol intake

1 comment:

Rogers Family said...

I am so proud of you and your mom. I know the journey must have been hard, but I know she was so blessed to have you by her side. I will continue to pray for her and her full recovery.