Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Backstreet Girls

Yesterday I was cleaning out a box and came across some papers I had when I was little...like Jr. High. One piece of paper caught my attention.

When my sisters and I were younger, we decided (well, actually I convinced them) that we should start a girl group. I would write all the songs and be the lead singer and then they could just be the backup singers. They were all on board, especially when I told them that maybe we could contact Whitney Houston or Olivia Newton John to see if they could help us.

So we worked really hard. I wrote at least ten songs and then we sat around my sister's pink jam box and sang into the recording hole located at the top...sometimes we would fight over who got to hold the jam box because that person's voice was more obvious.

My real reason for putting this little girl band together was because I actually didn't want to have to go back to school in the fall and I thought that we would be discovered and whisked away to Nashville. My dreams were dashed when I listened to our recording and realized that three little girls from deep East Texas probably wasn't the sweetest sound to be hitting the airways...we had deep East Texas accents and the twang sorta made my eye twitch.

Oh what could of been...

In honor of my sisters and our little group, I do, however, want to share some of the verses from two of our favorite songs that I so painstakingly wrote:

First:
Kevin, was his name
Kevin, K-E-V-I-N
(has Grammy written all over it)

This next song was a song I wrote about being homeless (like I knew):
Days and nights, fighting for what they think is right
Though their all alone and home is so very far away
They can stand another day, in the streets of the dark
No one remembers them per say, just listen for their hearts
(one of my sisters used to say that this song made her sad)

Even though more than 20 years have passed since we thought we were going to be the next big thang, I can still remember us huddled on my sister's bed singing our hearts away hoping that fame was going to come our way.

Oh well...we sure did have a fun time thinking about it and made one unforgettable memory...ROCK ON SISTERS!!!

1 comment:

Amanda said...

I think y'all had a chance! I can just see the three of you singing!!! I love it! Have a great week!