Sunday, March 8, 2009

Happy Tattoo Mom!

First let me say, "Happy Birthday Mom!" It feels amazing to say that considering where we were this time last year. Last March, my mom was in the midst of chemo and battling breast cancer. It was a courageous fight which is why I said, stupidly, "when this is over, we should all get tattoos!"
I never in a million years thought that my mom would ever want to do that, but a couple of weeks ago she called me and said she knew what she wanted for her birthday. I already had the idea that I was going to buy her a Coach wallet, but she said she wanted my sisters and I to go with her and get pink ribbon tattoos.
At first I thought she was kidding, but she wasn't, so yesterday, WE DID IT! And let me tell you from personal experience, IT HURT!!
Here are some pictures from our mother-daughter bonding day...(still using the broken camera...)

Here we are waiting for "Shaw" to draw out the designs.

These are our unmarked bodies before.
Cherish, my middle sister, decided she wanted to go first.

Here is her beautiful pink ribbon butterfly.

Chelsea, my youngest sister, decided to have her tattoo put on her wrist. She was so brave. She didn't even flinch.

Then it was my turn. I have given birth to two children, but nothing compared to this pain for me. I will never do that again. And to those who know me, are probably surprised I did it this time. But what better reason than to honor your mother, right? Well, there were moments during the process that I thought, "Forget that...I'll find some other way to honor her..."

So, here is the result of all that pain...it is a little bigger than I thought it would be and it is swollen in the picture.
Lastly, my mom, who acted like this was no big deal, although I guess compared to what she's been through, this was easy.

And her lovely angel pink ribbon.

I still can't believe that I did this and to be honest, I am not completely happy with how big it turned out, but I do know that everytime I look at my sweet tattoo, I will be reminded of my mom.
I cannot tell you how proud I am of her. And I was so grateful that we even had yesterday, to be able to go together and celebrate my mom's life...Happy Birthday, to a woman who inspires me to do more than I think I am capable of and thank you for holding my hand once again as I did something I thought I could never do. I love you MOM!
But next year, ask for a Coach wallet...

2 comments:

Rogers Family said...

I think it looks great!! It is wonderful that all of you can celebrate together. What a special thing.

Anonymous said...

Love the tat!