So with gas prices soaring, registration fees on every sport we play, and not to mention, three kids, I try to find little ways to save money however I can. I realized that my biggest spending happens whenever I go to the grocery store. So for the past couple of months, I have been attempting to cut my grocery bill significantly, and boy I have.
The first thing that I have had to do is become extremely focused when I go to the store. It is easy to just start grabbing things off the shelf because you "think" you need them. I have researched and discovered that stores are set up a certain way...they entice you to buy things you don't necessarily need, well, duh. That was obvious when I would come home with like two bags of groceries, none of which was anything I went to the store for. So it is so important to make a list of the things you need or want and STICK TO THAT LIST. Don't stray from it.
Second, I try to set a budget. I cannot tell you how many times I have spent way too much on things I really didn't need or things that were way overpriced. And one way to help ensure you stay on your budget is to take only cash to the store. It sure would be embarrassing if you got to the check-out and had to put things (that you really don't need) back because you didn't bring enough money...or at least that's how I see it.
And third, try to go to the store by yourself. Try hard not to take your kids...or your husband...because you will leave the store with something you really didn't intend to purchase.
Then here is my biggest new trick to saving money at the grocery store. Now this takes some planning but for me, the more money I save on groceries means the more I can put towards fun things for my family...maybe even a date night with my hubby. I shop at Wal-Mart and they do this awesome thing called price matching. This means that if a store like Albertson's has an ad for Peter Pan Peanut Butter on sale for $2.29, then you can purchase the same product at Wal-Mart for the same price, provided you show them the ad in the paper. So what I have started doing is this, when I receive my ads, which usually come in the mail on Tuesday, I go through the papers and look for items that my family needs and likes. I write down those items along with their prices and the store that I am going to use to price match. Since I am usually the one who does the grocery shopping, I pretty much know what I need.
After I have gone through all the ads a couple of times, I then add any items that I know that we need, but didn't see an ad for. Then I head to my computer to start looking for coupons. I am a big believer in coupons. They can save you a lot of money. So I start at the top of my list that I have made and begin looking for coupons for the exact item that is on my list. There are a lot of great websites out there that provide free printable coupons. Sometimes the manufacturer's webpage offers coupons as well. So I would google Peter Pan Peanut Butter for example. Now there may be a coupon for it or not, but it is worth the time to at least look for one. I then just go down my list looking for coupons. I also have a stash of coupons that I have clipped from newspapers. It is important to keep them organized and don't forget to check the expiration date.
I usually find coupons for at least half, if not more, of my list. So not only am I saving money by price matching, but I am also able to save money by using my coupon. Now some stores will double or triple your coupons, but I have to be honest here, I hate grocery shopping, so I really don't want to spend time going to each and every store. But if you have the time, you might save more. This is just my strategy. Anyway, I have gotten pretty good at this and now I only do one really big shopping trip a month. We still go and get bread and milk, but for the most part, we are set for the entire month.
I have cut my grocery bill by over $100 which is great since I am just getting started at this but my goal is to one day get most of my groceries for free and think I will. I mean, why not? Then think of all the money I saved for my family. I really get excited when I am standing at the register and see the total bill getting lower and lower. Often times the cashier starts rooting for me. It really is a bit like a game...the grocery game. And it is my contribution to the household...a way to let my husband know that I appreciate what he does for us and that I am being a good steward of our finances.
No comments:
Post a Comment