Then on Monday, she had reconstructive surgery, or got her new boobies (as I like to say). This surgery was totally different than the last. And hopefully, this will be the last. I am so thankful to God for watching over my mom throughout this entire 18 month struggle. There were moments when things were uncertain. There were moments of great heartache. There were moments of amazing joy. What a journey!
Saturday night, the American Cancer Society held its annual Relay for Life. My mom was one of the "Survivors" honored there. I was so overwhelmed with emotion as I stood there and looked at my mom as she stood with other survivors, and I knew that all of them must have similar stories. What fear they must have felt when the doctors said 'cancer'. What sadness their families must have felt when they heard the news. What an incredible gift to see them able to walk their "Survivor Lap" at the Relay. Cancer doesn't discriminate. I saw that to be true as a boy a little older than my son limped around the track wearing his purple "survivor" t-shirt. ...Sure does put life and all these superficial things into perspective.
To all those who are fighting, have fought or will ever face cancer, my prayers are with you. To those who have lost someone special to cancer, my love.
Here are some pictures from our very special night...
Here are mom and dad waiting to start the Survivor Lap.

We joined them as Caregivers and walked the lap too. (Haven rode in the wagon.)


Rylee & Haven wearing their "I Wear Pink for my Grandma" t-shirts.


I am so proud of you Mom...and hope to celebrate 100 more Mother's Days with you! I love you so much!
No comments:
Post a Comment